Putnam County

Putnam County was originally created in 1842.

Historic Sites

Arcade Building
Arcade Building

Cookeville, Tennessee

Located on the courthouse square, the Arcade Building was completed in 1913 to contain shops and offices. It was listed in the National Register for its innovative commercial design.

Broad Street Church of Christ

Cookeville, Tennessee

This building was originally the home of the Central Emmanuel Baptist Church and was built ca. 1920. It is notable for its Romanesque design and corner tower.

Cookeville Depot Museum
Cookeville Railroad Depot

Cookeville, Tennessee

The Cookeville Railroad Depot was built by the Tennessee Central Railroad in 1909. The depot has been rehabilitated into a train museum and visitor’s center.

First Presbyterian Church

Cookeville, Tennessee

The First Presbyterian Church was built in 1909 and listed on the National Register for its Neo-classical style architecture and for its role in local religious history.

Harding Studio
Harding Studio

Cookeville, Tennessee

The Harding Studio is located at 43 W. Broad Street and the building served as the photography studio for Richard Henry Harding and later his son Alard from 1914 to 1974

Henderson Hall

Cookeville, Tennessee

Henderson Hall is located on the campus of Tennessee Tech University and was built in 1931 to house the industrial arts department.

John’s Place

Cookeville, Tennessee

John’s Place is located at 11 Gibson Avenue and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its role in local African American history. The restaurant was built in 1949.

Southern Motel
Southern Motel

Cookeville, Tennessee

The Southern Motel reflects the heyday of automobile traffic along US 70N prior to Interstate 40. Figure 44 comes from a postcard of the 1960s.