Roane County

Roane County was established in 1801.

Historic Sites

Kingston Avenue Historic District House
Kingston Avenue Historic District

Rockwood, Tennessee

This historic district is located roughly along N. Kingston, S. Kingston, and E. Rockwood Avenues. Its architecture represents the growing prosperity of the community from the 1880s to the early 1900s. The district includes examples of the Queen Anne, Colonial Revival and Craftsman Bungalow styles and was listed in 1997. The district also contains an excellent example of a Pure Oil Station which utilized an English Cottage design in the 1930s and 1940s.

Molyneux Chevrolet Company - Rockwood Fire Department Building
Molyneux Chevrolet Company - Rockwood Fire Department Building

Rockwood, Tennessee

Located on W. Rockwood Avenue and Chamberlain Street in Rockwood, this ca. 1927 building was designed as an automobile showroom and listed in 2002.

Rockwood Post Office
Rockwood Post Office

Rockwood, Tennessee

The Rockwood Post Office was constructed in 1935 in the Colonial Revival style and listed in 1999.

Tennessee Highway Patrol Building
Tennessee Highway Patrol Building

Rockwood, Tennessee

Located at the Junction of Kingston Avenue and Nelson Street in Rockwood, this ca. 1930 building was constructed of native Crab Orchard stone and was used as an office for the Tennessee Highway Patrol. It was listed on the National Register in 2001. A similar building is located next to the courthouse in Crossville.

Fort Southwest Point
Fort Southwest Point

Kingston, Tennessee

Fort Southwest Point was constructed in 1797 and served as a significant military outpost as settlers migrated to the nation’s frontier. It operated as a fort through 1811. It is the only fort in Tennessee to have been rebuilt on its original foundation and the site features barracks, a blockhouse, and over 200 feet of palisade walls. It was listed on the National Register in 1972. 

Bethel Cemetery
Bethel Cemetery

Kingston, Tennessee

Located at Euclid Avenue and Third Street in Kingston, Bethel Cemetery was included in the original plat for the town, established in 1799. The first known burial and oldest marked grave dates from 1811 and it contains the graves of veterans from all of America’s wars. It was listed on the National Register in 2006. 

Colonel Gideon Morgan House
Colonel Gideon Morgan House

Kingston, Tennessee

Located at 149 Kentucky Street in Kingston, the ca. 1810 Federal style house was home to early settler Gideon Morgan, a veteran of the Revolutionary War. Morgan was a prominent merchant and the house was listed on the National Register in 1983. 

Roane County Courthouse
Roane County Courthouse

Kingston, Tennessee

The Roane County Courthouse was built in 1855 and designed by the architect Augustus O. Fisher. The courthouse was built in the Greek Revival style, popular during this period, and features a full-height gabled portico. The courthouse was listed in the National Register in 1971 and was in use until 1974. Since then, the building was converted into a museum of local history operated by the Roane County Heritage Commission.